Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Ceramics - Blog 9 - Greek Red and Black Figure Amphora

amphora, ancient vessel form used as a storage jar and one of the principal vessel shapes in Greek pottery, a two-handled pot with a neck narrower than the body. There are two types of amphora: the neck amphora, in which the neck meets the body at a sharp angle; and the one-piece amphora, in which the neck and body form a continuous curve. The first is common from the Geometric period (c. 900 bc) to the decline of Greek pottery; the second appeared in the 7th century bc. The height of amphorae varies from large Geometric vases of 5 feet (1.5 metres) to examples of 12 inches (30 centimetres) or even smaller (the smallest are called amphoriskoi). The average normal height is about 18 inches (45 centimetres). Amphorae, which survive in great numbers, were used as storage and transport vessels for olives, cereal, oil, and wine (the wine amphora was a standard Attic measure of about 41 quarts [39 litres]) and, in outsize form, for funerals and as grave markers. Wide-mouthed, painted amphorae were used as decanters and were given as prizes.

Black Figure Neck Amphora


Black Figure One Piece Amphora


Which one is more like your design?  Which one do you like better?

13 comments:

  1. The second pot is more like my design because the style and height is similar. I like the second one because of the matte finish and texture.
    -Katie O`Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my pot is more like the one piece amphora. It ends at a wider point with no curve/smaller section at the top, but it does have handles. I think the overall shape of the pot is the one piece amphora.
    -Elizabeth Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my pot looks like the second one because it is more round in the middle. I like both because of the pictures on them.- Caitlin Collins

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first one seems like mine with the straight neck, but mine is probably less fat. mehhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second one is more like my pot's design because it's more continuous and doesn't have a lot of sharp curves. I like the form of the second one more but the design on the top and bottom of the first one. -Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the first amphora. The detailing is really cool. It's amazing that these pots have survived so long and are still in such good condition.
    -Hannah Colquitt

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pot is more like the pot on the bottom because it does not have such a large curve in it, and the top is more square like the bottom one. -James Collins

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the pot on the bottom better because it looks more like the one i made. -joseph lengel

    ReplyDelete
  10. the top one looks more like the one i made-Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like the pot on the top because it reminds me of my pot
    -Landon Newberry

    ReplyDelete
  12. The second one is more like the one I made because the neck is a bit less extreme than the top one.

    ReplyDelete