Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ceramics - Greek Amphora - blog 4

amphora, ancient vessel form used as a storage jar and one of the principal vessel shapes in Greek pottery, a two-handled pot with a neck narrower than the body. There are two types of amphora: the neck amphora, in which the neck meets the body at a sharp angle; and the one-piece amphora, in which the neck and body form a continuous curve. The first is common from the Geometric period (c. 900 bc) to the decline of Greek pottery; the second appeared in the 7th century bc. The height of amphorae varies from large Geometric vases of 5 feet (1.5 metres) to examples of 12 inches (30 centimetres) or even smaller (the smallest are called amphoriskoi). The average normal height is about 18 inches (45 centimetres). Amphorae, which survive in great numbers, were used as storage and transport vessels for olives, cereal, oil, and wine (the wine amphora was a standard Attic measure of about 41 quarts [39 litres]) and, in outsize form, for funerals and as grave markers. Wide-mouthed, painted amphorae were used as decanters and were given as prizes.

Black Figure Neck Amphora


Black Figure One Piece Amphora


Which one is more like your design?  Which one do you like better?

15 comments:

  1. The neck amphora is more like my pot. I like this shape better because the curve is smoother and not as drastic.
    Brenley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how one specific type of pot can vary anywhere from 5 feet tall to as little as 19 inches. That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The neck amphora is clposer to what my pot will look like. I like Greek pottery a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. neither are like mine but i like the neck amaphora

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the neck amphora I like the kind of strawberry shape of the pot. I love the different drawings and pictures depicted on the pots, they are all so different and they make me think of Hercules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the one piece is more like mine and I like it because it is very continuous and smooth
    McKenzie Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  7. The One piece Amphora is more like mine, I really like both of them, but I like the one piece amphora more.

    -Kevin Griggs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the neck amphora pot better than the one piece amphora but mine would never look like either of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the neck amphora one is cool and idiosyncratic. The other one is pretty chill too but the lady on the front of it gives me the serious creeps.
    -It's Emily Garnett, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally like the neck-amphora more, However, my design is most like the one-piece amphora. Mine does not have any sharp angles but it does flow very well from each section to the next. Although this piece is quite stressful, the finished pot will be really cool to have.
    ~Katey

    ReplyDelete
  11. the second pot looks more like my pots design. I like how these pots are painted tho and wish that I could do something like that on a pot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the second one is more like what im hoping mine will look like and the second is my favorite too! anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. The paintings are cool and the design of them I especially like the second one

    Sam Jones

    ReplyDelete